Thursday, February 14, 2019

Morning bitchfest

Dear Lorenzo,

It's 4:45 a.m., February 14, 2019 and I'm sitting in bed, talking to you, while our nine year old lies beside me sleeping peacefully.

Although it is not yet 5:00 a.m. I should already be up and out of bed. I need to wash a sink full of dishes, make and pack Amira's lunch and finish folding up the valentines she neglected to take care of last night.

It's been an incredibly rough week.

Being a single mom is brutal.

Lorenzo, I had no fucking idea.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a moron.

We all know how hard it is to be a single parent, IN THEORY, but doing this job, day in and day out, on my own...

I never could have imagined just how hard it really is.

I caught a nasty cold last week and was laid up in bed for days on end but guess what? Someone still has to feed our daughter. Someone still has to make sure she takes her asthma medications twice a day, that she gets her funky butt into the shower at nighttime, that she eats her rice and beans for dinner and doesn't sneak too many potato chips when she knows I'm not looking and that someone is ALWAYS going to be me. No matter how sick, tired or just plain over it I am. Someone still has to hold down the fort.

Sometimes I hate being that someone.

The only someone.

The single parent.

I love our daughter, I love our life, I'm so blessed to have an amazing support system of friends and family but...being a single parent is exhausting nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. KB, do you realize you're writing a draft of your memoir. I'm so proud of you. Hugs. Huge hugs.

    Manni

    ReplyDelete