Sunday, October 1, 2017

Another Goodbye

I lost a friend today although, admittedly, friend is much too strong of a word to describe our relationship. What lies between friend and acquaintance? I'm not sure; all I know is that he was one of us. One of the good guys. And this is the only way I know to say goodbye.

Two weeks ago a parent at my daughter's school suffered a massive heart attack. A parent I've talked to every single school day for the past 4 years. A parent who stood beside me on the playground as we watched our children run and climb and wrestle each other into the dirt. A parent who always had a kind word for those around him. A parent who never failed to make me smile. 

I prayed for him every day for the past two weeks. I prayed that his wife would never know the pain that I'm experiencing. I prayed that his children would have much longer with their father than my daughter had with hers. I prayed that he would make a miraculous recovery and that in a few short weeks he'd be back on the playground, talking to Blythe and I about what tattoos we want him to design for us. Unfortunately, my prayers and the prayers of countless others did not come to fruition. 

When she is ready, I will offer my support to his wife. I will offer to pick up her son from school, to cook dinner for her family, and to sit with her when she doesn't want to be alone. I will give her my copy of Option B, by Sheryl Sandberg, and tell her how much it helped me. I will give her the name and number of my therapist if she wants it. I will let her know that she can call or text me day and night.

As so many others have done for me, I will let her know that I am here.

No comments:

Post a Comment